The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy! Psalm 126:3



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11/17 National Prematurity Awareness Day

Just about 9 1/2 months ago, two very sweet little boys were born... too early. They were brought into the world at 27 weeks and 3 days... all in an effort to save Eli who was sick in the womb.

When we made the choice to deliver early, we were told that we could possibly end up loosing both babies, due to complications of such an early birth. But we were also given the hope that they both could survive. Everything was very uncertain and we were scared.

We prayed and hoped to be blessed with 2 baby boys when all was said and done.

Isaac Franklin was born on 2.2.10 at 2:14, weighing in at 2lbs 4 oz, 12 3/4 in.


Eli Merritt was born on 2.2.10 at 2:15, weighing in at 1lb 3 oz, 11in.


Isaac spent 4 months in the NICU, enduring multiple infections, intubations, and surgeries.

Eli spent 5 months in the NICU, enduring multiple infections, broken bones, intubations, and surgeries.

Both boys are home with us now... something we try to not take for granted, because we weren't always certain we'd get to bring them both home.

For the most part, life is good. And we are very blessed. But there are also some complications that come with being born at 27 weeks, some of which are even yet to be seen.

Tonight, as I sit here typing this, after having rocked and kissed both of my boys... I can't help but think of families out there who didn't get to bring their baby home from the NICU... the families who had to say goodbye too soon to a baby that they had many hopes, wishes, and dreams for. The mommies who's hearts are aching, and the daddies who's dreams feel crushed.

I am also very mindful of all the families who still have babies fighting for their lives in the NICU. That is a very hard place to be in life. All you want is for your baby to be ok, healthy. And some days, you just don't know if that will ever happen. For the mommies who are still waiting to hold and feed their babies for the first time, I'm thinking of you. For the daddies who are still waiting to carry their little boy or girl into their home, into their bedroom that has been prepared especially for them... I'm thinking of you. And hoping that day comes soon. I know what that waiting feels like. It's the worst kind of wait I've ever experienced.

Holding Isaac for the first time. He was a few days old, but I only got to hold him up in my hands for a few short seconds while the nurse changed his bedding. It was over a month before I ever really got to hold him.


Holding Eli for the first time. Waited almost 2 months before I held him.


So I guess that's what I'm choosing to be aware of on this National Prematurity Awareness Day- the parents of preemies. My heart and prayers are with you today! May you feel loved and supported. May you see hope on your journey. May you know you are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I just wanted to leave a comment saying that I have been sitting here reading every entry on your blog (I love blogs by the way) it is such a great and easy way to keep people updated on your life and almost serves as a scrapbook! Anyways- I am truly touched by the things I have learned about your sweet precious boys, the challenges you all have and are facing, the faith that pours out of you and overall just your strength, love and patience as a mother! I want to give you a huge hug! Just know that I am looking up to you because even though I have 2 children of my own now it does not compare to the journey that you have endured with your babies. Be so proud of yourself and all of the sacrifices and love that you have already given in the past (almost year) for the 2 most blessed gifts you have been given. I would absolutely LOVE to come visit you, meet your boys, bring you dinner and catch up. I know its holiday time which means busy time. But after Thanksgiving (before Christmas) if there is any time of day that I could make the trip to you please tell me. I can come with my kids, without my kids (well I will probably bring little Elic regardless but will likely leave the wild 2 1/2 year old home :) Facebook me or e-mail me and let me know...lindseyball08@gmail.com
    Much love to you, many blessings and continued prayers for your wonderful family! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Bekah! I love reading about your sweet boys and seeing them reach milestones and those precious smiles! Your faith in God is so evident. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete